Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Coping with potentially incompatible identities: Accounts of religious, ethnic, and sexual identities from British Pakistani men who identify as Muslim and gay

This article brings up an interesting issue, the struggle of being gay while trying to maintain a health religious practice. I was astounded by the difficulties of balancing a religious image with that of an alternate lifestyle. I feel like it must be very difficult to want to be as devout as others in one's community however one's desires lead them astray. I've never considered the religious ramifications of homosexuality. Also This article reminded me of a movie I once saw Called My Beautiful Laundrette, About a young man, Omar a Pakistani Muslim, who convinces his uncle to let him run his broken down laundry mat with the help of his lover, Johnny, a former member of the fascist movement in Britain, aka Daniel Day Lewis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzSdRNxWJbs

No comments:

Post a Comment