Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Covered Girls

Covered Girls is a short documentary following Muslim girls living in New York after 9/11. The film follows three very different Muslim girls who all wear the traditional hijab on a daily basis and documents their typical day. One girl is on the edge of cutting her first rap CD while another coaches her high school basketball team, and the third has a black belt in karate. The documentary also shows how the girls confront, and contradict the stereotypical portrayals of Muslims, particularly in the media. I was excited to see such ambition in these girls, and to learn that they are out there making their own way while still remaining devout. I sometimes have trouble understanding the practice of Islam due to its heavy ties to tradition, some of which (strictly in my opinion) seem outdated. But who am I to say what is extreme or outdated. Islam is 600 years younger than Christianity, and 600 years ago we were burning people at the stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment